Breaking News!!! Trump cancels summit with Kim

  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+
  • Linkedin

President Trump on Thursday cancelled the planned June 12 summit in Singapore with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un, citing the recent hostile comments from top North Korean officials and concern over Pyongyang’s commitment to giving up its nuclear weapons.

President Trump in a letter released to Kim said;

“it would be inappropriate at this time, to have this long-planned meeting. But ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used.”

Trump’s letter to Kim reads;

Last week, Trump sought to placate North Korea after it threatened to call off the summit, saying Kim’s security would be guaranteed in any deal and his country would not suffer the fate of Muammar Gaddafi’s Libya, unless that could not be reached.

But the reference to the case of Libya has angered North Korea.

In a statement released by North Korean media on Thursday, Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui called U.S. Vice President Mike Pence a “political dummy” for comparing North Korea – a “nuclear weapons state” – to Libya, where Gaddafi gave up his unfinished nuclear development programme, only to be later killed by NATO-backed fighters.

“It is to be underlined, however, that in order not to follow in Libya’s footstep, we paid a heavy price to build up our powerful and reliable strength that can defend ourselves and safeguard peace and security in the Korean peninsula and the region,” Choe said.

Choe said the fate of the summit was “entirely” up to the United States.

“We will neither beg the U.S. for dialogue nor take the trouble to persuade them if they do not want to sit together with us,” said Choe.

She said she could suggest to leader Kim that North Korea reconsider the summit if the United States offended the North’s goodwill.

Meanwhile, on Friday, North Korea says Kim Jong Un is still willing to meet Donald Trump “at any time,” despite the US President’s abrupt cancellation of what would have been a historic summit between the two leaders, scheduled for June 12.

Kim Kye Gwan, a top official at North Korea’s Foreign Ministry, said Trump’s decision to cancel the talks runs counter to the global community’s wishes for peace on the Korean Peninsula.

“We would like to make known to the US side once again that we have the intent to sit with the US side to solve problem(s) regardless of ways at any time,” said Kim in comments published by the country’s state-run news agency KCNA Friday.

Kim said Trump’s decision is “not consistent with the desire of humankind for peace and stability in the world, to say nothing of those in the Korean Peninsula.”

Vib this
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App
Skip to toolbar