The Chinese government has ban the eating of animals carrying black death bugs after a case of bubonic plague was reported in Bayannur, Beijing.
According to reports, the case was discovered in the city of Bayannur, located northwest of Beijing, after a hospital in the region discovered and alerted municipal authorities of the patient’s case on Saturday. Although the city on Sunday, has issued a citywide Level 3 warning for plague prevention, the second lowest in a four-level system.
The warning will stay in place until the end of the year, according to local news reports.
Just two months ago (May 2020), a couple in Mongolia died from bubonic plague after eating the raw kidney of a marmot, thought to be a folk remedy for good health. Two more people got pneumo plague — another form of the disease, which infects the lungs — months later across the border in Inner Mongolia.
The Bubonic Plague, caused by bacteria and transmitted through flea bites and infected animals, is one of the deadliest bacterial infections in human history. Bubonic Plague causes painful, swollen lymph nodes, as well as fever, chills, and coughing.
Bayannur authorities warned the public to report findings of dead or sick marmots.