The World Health Organization (WHO) says there is a “window of opportunity” to stop the deadly new coronavirus becoming a broader global crisis.
GENEVA – Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the steps China took to fight the virus at its epicentre were a good way of stopping its spread.
It is reported that nearly 4,000 new cases were confirmed in the country on Tuesday 04/02/2020.
490 is now the new confirmed death toll which is an increase of 65 deaths in mainland China in the last 24 hours – figures reported by china’s National Health Commission (NHC) said the new deaths were in the Hubei province – the centre of the epidemicIn China alone, there are now more than 24,300 cases, with a much smaller number of cases in other countries around the globe.
Two people have died of the disease outside of mainland China – one in Hong Kong and one in the Philippines.
The international community have been repatriating their citizens in the last week and multiple nations have put out calls for the Chinese authorities to allow their nationals leave china anyway they can if they can.Following directives from WHO, Australia has designated its Christmas island to house its 600 nationals from Wuhan while the United Kingdom is holding some 93 citizens in a military hospital in England for testing. Other countries are taking similar measures to contain the spread of the virus which there is yet to be a cure for.
The new coronavirus causes severe acute respiratory infection and symptoms usually start with a fever, followed by a dry cough. Most people infected are likely to fully recover – just as they would from a flu.
“Our message to the international community is: Invest today, or pay more later,”
WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Wednesday