Nigeria in recent times is certainly not as safe as we would want it to be; In the last 8 years crimes rates has risen ten folds with majority of them going unsolved and being abandoned by the security agencies. Cases of Rape, Kidnapping, Scam, Insurgency, even killings done by the those (police) who are sworn to protect the citizens remain swept under the carpet and never spoken of. As with Most liberties that should be provided to us by our Government, the citizens are yet again advised to fend for themselves in-spite of the outcry and calls for improvement of our security services across the country.
In light of this situation not getting any traction anytime soon, and safety not being top of this Administration’s agenda, a concerned Nigerian took to his twitter page to share some security tips and small steps we can take to reduce the risks of becoming a victim of crime as we interact with society daily.
Mr. Ike Aguata (@ike_Obiora) tweets reads:
I’m not a security expert but I got this from someone and in view of random kidnapping going on in the country, I thought it wise to share some of these security measures as received.
1. Never use car stickers that says where you work, especially if you have a prestigious job.
2. Never share pictures of your kids in their school uniforms or badges. Protect your kids!
3. When you attend parties, don’t let the band get you so high that you start spraying money like no man’s business, use an envelope.
4. Don’t be the one that tries to empty the ATM machine by making large withdrawals …You don’t need 50k in your wallet to feel like a man.
5. Always delete your bank transaction notifications, especially SMS…you really can memorize your bank balance….Shred ur POS/ATM receipts.
6. Don’t go jogging while it’s dark, you really should be smarter than that. If you can, get someone trusted as company.
7. Always lock your doors, even if you’re only going out to switch off your generator.
8. NEVER EVER, NEVER EVER WEAR YOUR ID outside your work place. No one needs to know where you work
9. Be accountable to your spouse or parents, let someone know where you are at every point.
10. As much as you can, don’t send kids alone on errand outside your house, they are soft targets.
11. Don’t try to show you are the richest in the neighborhood by making large donations in your estate meetings, learn modesty.
12. When you give, give with modesty and privately, learn to say “I can’t spare that amount now”.
13. Don’t stay late in your office long after closing hours. That deadline work can be done at home.
14. Make safety the number one factor in your decision always!
God will keep and protect you as you also apply discretion.
15. Mind what you post about yourself on social media.
16. In case of any Emergencies, please call *112* the Toll Free Number for prompt response.
It is a known fact that we all do need to protect ourselves from harm, therefore it is advisable that we apply these tips into our daily routine to be safe.
Just like he said GOD WILL KEEP AND PROTECT YOU AS YOU ALSO APPLY DISCRETION, and that is no lie.