Love according to Cambridge dictionary is the feeling of liking another adult very much and being romantically and otherwise attracted to them. Love can be found anywhere, it can be love in schools, parties, church, office, etc, but today we will be talking about love found in the office/work environment
Office love to me is when two adults who work in the same place are romantically or otherwise attracted to each other.
Being grown adults with the ability to make rational decisions, you would expect they can left to make their own decisions about who what and when to have relationships that could become intimate in nature – After-all it is human nature to gradually begin to have a fondness for the people you spend most of your day around and with.
Studies show that majority of office romance do not last before friction and cracks begin to emerge. Most professional business organizations do not allow office romance could be attributed to some of these obvious and not so obvious reasons.
Organisations and companies tend to see couples either married or dating as a distraction from performing their official duties, but is it right? Love is something that should not be stopped whether in the environment we find it.
Love is a beautiful thing and therefore should be allowed to flourish wherever it is found; People who are involved in office romance either in the past and currently have had to have one of the lovers take a transfer to another branch, hiding their relationship from the official authority (HR) or quitting the job entirely to avoid breaching employment contract or most importantly avoid negative backlash from other staff members who do not subscribe to the idea of finding love in the work place.
I understand that it might distract the workers involved, they might not get productive when they are having issues in the relationship or might talk about personal issues during working hours, but at the same time, they might be at their best performance potential when they are happy and bring in the best ideas that can help grow the company.
Also those who enjoy short term relationships would not benefit from the office romance, Others who feel they space away from their partners and use the the hours spent in the office as time away from their partners might struggle with the idea of having to see their wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend/lover share the same building or department as them a little too much. These people i refer to as ‘the space invaders’ in the online dating sphere.
Personally, finding love in the work place can be both bad and good, bad because if the relationship goes sour it might bring about toxicity to the working environment and may affect other workers as well.
Office love should be followed if felt, I think love cannot be held back and definitely has to been nourished. If you are going into office love make sure it does not affect your work and productivity, I mean love is beautiful, go enjoy but know when to love and when to love.
- Find out the disciplinary process involved if found to be in breach of company policy regarding office romance before getting into a relationship with a co worker.
- Weigh your options and pros and cons of being involved with this person
- If you end up going on a date find out what he/she is willing to risk with regards to keeping your relationship and keeping your job
- Speak to the management of the company after you have confirmed your dating status with your office colleague/ lover.
- Find a common ground with your management and provide convincing evidence that your productivity will not be affected by your relationship.
- You could request to be moved to a different department within the building if the company expresses concern over the proximity of your department to hers. This is aimed at younger couples who cant keep their hands off each other especially at the early stages of the relationship.
- If all fails and if possible find work some place else that is more accommodating to couples working together with the same employer.
Feel free to add additional pro tips in the comment section.